Saving money while on vacation are two things that rarely go together. Let’s face it, shopping is very addictive normally, let alone on vacation. Most of the time, the household budget is sacrificed once you go shopping. And, most people throwing budgeting out the window while on vacation. Saving money while shopping should not give you headaches as long as you know how to budget. Vacations are the times when we want to forget about the cares of regular life and just have fun. And, that is possible while still keeping to a saving money frame of mind. To that end, here are the things that you need to remember when on vacation.
Six Tips For Saving money While Shopping On Vacation
1. Always remember to spend your money wisely whenever you go shopping on vacation. It is easy to get carried away and buy a bunch of useless items when on vacation. Have you ever said, “Oh I must have that.” Avoid impulse buys. Bring only the exact amount of money you need in buying your items. Meaning decide how much you will spend before you leave the hotel room. To ensure that you stick to it, make a list of the items that you are looking to purchase. And, if it’s not on the list once you leave the hotel room, DON’T buy it. Budgeting your money wisely like this will prevent you from buying things that are not that important. It will keep you from buying things that will only end up in a drawer or stuffed in your closet. This is your first step to saving money while shopping on vacation.
2. Another key to saving money while shopping on vacation is to compare prices from different stores before buying an item. You’re on vacation after all. You don’t need to rush. Therefore, do not limit yourself to just one store. There are stores that offer the same quality but can have a lower price. Don’t get caught up in the bogo’s stores may offer. Many stores raise the price of an item so that the sale price is the normal everyday price. A smart thing you may do is to be attentive to the prices of the items that you buy regularly when shopping. There are instances that a store has an untimely changing of prices on different items.
3. It is recommended that you do your shopping during the end of the season. Depending on when you travel, there may be ‘end of season’ prices on different items. Prices of many items, especially clothes, are very low and affordable during this time of the year. You may buy clothes in the months of August and September if you are looking for bargain clothes for your summer wear. Or May and June for discounted Spring clothing.
4. When you’re on vacation, no store is off limits. Shopping in dollar stores is a great way for saving money while on vacation. Different dollar stores around the country have different types of merchandise. If you’re traveling outside the United States, you may still find similar stores in you vacation destination. Dollar stores are the places where you can find items that are on sale and where prices are low. Although the quality of some items is not the same when you buy in malls and shopping galleries but the merchandises are still new and not yet used. These stores can provide you the best prices that can cope with on your budget.
5. Another way of saving money while shopping is to economize the travel you make in finding the stores you want to buy an item. Try to stay at a centrally located hotel. Hotels on the beach are nice and pretty. They tempt you with great views and vistas. The problem is that they know it may be too much trouble for you to go into town to get certain items, so they can raise prices as they see fit. A piece of clothing that may cost $5 in town, is $15 at the beach. You may take a stop on your daily route to check if the items you buy regularly have not changed their prices or are still in the price of your budget. You may purchase the item even before you do your shopping schedule. This can save you fuel and time.
6. Finally, try to find discount stores that offer quality items that have discounts and can offer a very affordable price on your desired item. The prices on discount stores may vary depending on the season of the year. These stores can be located in large shopping areas like in malls and shopping galleries. And remember, if you can’t get a item within your budget, it’s not the end of the world. Spend time enjoying your vacation with family and friends, not obsessing over prices.
Keep these six points in mind the next time you book a vacation, and you will have a great time. Remember don’t just travel, Travel Well.